Skip to main content

Places of Sculpture - Churches

Happy New Year! It might be a little late to say that, but I'm excited about the blogging subject I picked for this year. There are many places - not including museums or galleries - where sculpture leaves its lasting mark. I'm an advocate for public art, and though my views may differ from many, this is my list of fantastic and beautiful pieces and their places.

Today I will focus on places of worship. Your groan is not unheard, but I'll also add that many churches have artworks of not only religious pieces, but historical and social pieces as well.

George Washington by Lee Lawrie

This statue of George Washington is on permanent display at the Washington National Cathedral. It looks like it might be marble, but I can't tell for sure. It's a great rendering, slightly imposing but almost in a subtle way. Washington was well known for this subtlety, the humble power that emanated from him and still does in nearly every rendering of him I've ever seen.

Part of The Creations sculptures by Frederick Hart
Another of my favorite sculptures at the National Cathedral are the Creation Sculptures by Frederick Hart. The use of the elements is obvious, but what elements are they? Earth, water, fire, and air are all combined to fill the background of the creation of man, people coming out of the woodwork.

Space Window by Rodney Winfield

This piece is the Space Window by Rodney Winfield. It is symbolic of the first man on the moon, and it has a beautiful design. Space is something that connects us all. It's out there, and we are a part of it.

The Washington National Cathedral

Last but not least, look at the fantastic architecture! It's an artwork in itself, and the inside is just as amazing.

Inside the National Cathedral
Look at the detail, the significant arches and columns. It was designed by three architects, and President Woodrow Wilson is buried there.
Well, I've gone and spent an entire blog on one church. Oh, except I have to add this because I love it.

Thanks to Digital Trends
Yep, that's Darth Vader's helmet on the National Cathedral. Hey, he's iconic and he stands for a lot of things. Why not? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focus: Immortality

Several years ago Mike created Outside the Circle, which you can read about on a previous blog. Around the same time, he created this statue: Immortality Part of the story is mine. Shortly before Mike created this piece, I had my first miscarriage. What they say is true: you never understand how difficult it is until you go through one yourself. I remember talking to Mike about the sacrifices that so many women make. We give up our bodies for years at a time. Our bodies sometimes fail us. Our minds suffer when things don't go as planned. Emotions are high, and so are the stakes. This statue, aptly named "Immortality," is the embodiment of those sacrifices. Not only do women bear children, but we don't bear children. We adopt and we foster care, and we babysit our nieces and nephews. We lose sleep. We toss and turn. We worry. We lose our marbles. Sometimes, women can look down at themselves and see only stretchmarks. We a wreck of the person we used to

Now: Up at the Springville Museum of Art

It's finished! Isn't it always nice when you can say something like that? With all the work that went into this relief, Mike is ready for vacation. Even the casting process put him through a physical and emotional ride. The work that goes into creating something, from concept to finished product, is amazingly strenuous and impressive. When I try the process myself I tend to give up, so I have a tremendous respect for artists in general. Last night we went to the opening of the Fall Show at the Springville Museum of Art. There were a LOT of people there. I think they ran out of cups for water. But it was a nice evening, with beautiful art, and great people. Mike has received continuous awards in this show for the last...seven years? Eight, maybe? This is how you know that he works hard and puts a lot of himself into his pieces. Not only is he good, but he uses his talents and knowledge for good. He creates pieces that convey messages about important qualities and eleme

Now: Time for Wax

Though my post is a little late, cut me some slack. It's raining and gorgeous outside, and we've been enjoying it. Might sound crazy, but I am so glad this summer is over.  Tomorrow we head to Baer Bronze to check the metal. Before that, Mike had to go out there to check the wax:  Mostly, this blog is going to be in photos. Because the photos are awesome and speak for themselves. When I look at this wax, I'm not sure what the purpose is. Here's what I know: Mike's pieces are cast using the Lost Wax method, which means the piece is cast in wax first, remolded, and then when the bronze is poured the wax is burned away. Hence, the lost wax method.  This is an amazing shot. What I like about this broken wax piece is the detail you can see. This is pretty much what the bronze will look like. You know, minus the attachments on the bottom.  There are some of the pieces that had to be removed and cast separately. The wolf is one of my favorite figures from thi