Skip to main content

Montmartre Cemetery, Paris, France

Mike has been doing a lot of research about the Armenian Genocide, and one of his most recent sculptures is of an angel that will be used as a memorial for a gravesite. In the past few years I have lost many people I love, most recently a young, 20-year-old girl who I was very close to. It's been heartbreaking, and I decided to do this post on the Monmartre Cemetery in Paris because of the way we use art to help in our grieving process. I could've picked from several cemeteries, and though the Staglieno is my favorite, I'm saving that for another day when I can really put together a lot their most gorgeous pieces.

Tombs at the Monmartre Cemetery, picture from Ila Chateau

The tombs alone in this place are amazing, building up a miniature city of the dead, clearly protecting the bodies and souls of those who've gone before. There are beautiful plants and flowers, well-kept and beautified out of respect.


Didsbury Monument, "Douleur"
I can't express how much I love this sculpture. The sculpture was created by a mother who's 20 year old son died. Please read Peter's Paris for more information about this sculpture - and the cemetery and other places in Paris. He's fascinating. This statue, even in it's dull-colored internet-photo form, is hard to look away from.

Death Sculpture, from BSU Eurospring 2011
Although I couldn't find a name for this statue, it's one of those that's hard to look at and yet hard not to look it. It gives you an appropriate level of discomfort that also relates you to the person's death and all the people involved, the people who are suffering and grieving, those who sometimes feel there is no way out.

From Tripomatic
I don't know the name of this sculpture either, but I love the premise. A woman sits, obviously alone in her grief. She is half-draped, somewhat vulnerable, somewhat sheltered. Her face is low, but I don't think she's hiding it. I think she's mourning and watching herself put the wreath on top of a long lost loved one.

Beautiful picture, Credits go Here
This is another sculpture that reminds me of a truly grieving woman. Perhaps she's fallen asleep on her husband's grave, or her child's. Or it could be the victim herself, finding rest both underground and in the sunlight. She's beautiful, and the aged patina gives her such an earth-connected feel.

Young Girl of Bou-Saada the Daily Photo Stream
This young girl might be the protector of this gravesite, the Barrias tomb where orientalist painter G.A. Guillaumet. It is an Algeria girl letting flowers fall over the site. The gesture and expression are both interesting and communicative. Louis-Ernest Barrias has done other fantastic public sculptures, including The Oath of Spartacus.

Cemeteries are hallowed ground. I've always felt this way, and though I've seen photos of creepy cemeteries, all of the cemeteries and graveyards I've been to have a feeling of solemnity and sacredness. Some of them even hold feelings of peace. Sculpture and works of art are here intended to both memorialize and help others through the grieving process. I've seen people lose their children, their spouses, their parents and loved ones to death through both illness, tragedy, and the simple breaking down of the body. One way for us to deal with these things is the artwork and sculptures we find in cemeteries, and the hallowed ground we stand on there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focus: Immortality

Several years ago Mike created Outside the Circle, which you can read about on a previous blog. Around the same time, he created this statue: Immortality Part of the story is mine. Shortly before Mike created this piece, I had my first miscarriage. What they say is true: you never understand how difficult it is until you go through one yourself. I remember talking to Mike about the sacrifices that so many women make. We give up our bodies for years at a time. Our bodies sometimes fail us. Our minds suffer when things don't go as planned. Emotions are high, and so are the stakes. This statue, aptly named "Immortality," is the embodiment of those sacrifices. Not only do women bear children, but we don't bear children. We adopt and we foster care, and we babysit our nieces and nephews. We lose sleep. We toss and turn. We worry. We lose our marbles. Sometimes, women can look down at themselves and see only stretchmarks. We a wreck of the person we used to

Now: Up at the Springville Museum of Art

It's finished! Isn't it always nice when you can say something like that? With all the work that went into this relief, Mike is ready for vacation. Even the casting process put him through a physical and emotional ride. The work that goes into creating something, from concept to finished product, is amazingly strenuous and impressive. When I try the process myself I tend to give up, so I have a tremendous respect for artists in general. Last night we went to the opening of the Fall Show at the Springville Museum of Art. There were a LOT of people there. I think they ran out of cups for water. But it was a nice evening, with beautiful art, and great people. Mike has received continuous awards in this show for the last...seven years? Eight, maybe? This is how you know that he works hard and puts a lot of himself into his pieces. Not only is he good, but he uses his talents and knowledge for good. He creates pieces that convey messages about important qualities and eleme

Now: Time for Wax

Though my post is a little late, cut me some slack. It's raining and gorgeous outside, and we've been enjoying it. Might sound crazy, but I am so glad this summer is over.  Tomorrow we head to Baer Bronze to check the metal. Before that, Mike had to go out there to check the wax:  Mostly, this blog is going to be in photos. Because the photos are awesome and speak for themselves. When I look at this wax, I'm not sure what the purpose is. Here's what I know: Mike's pieces are cast using the Lost Wax method, which means the piece is cast in wax first, remolded, and then when the bronze is poured the wax is burned away. Hence, the lost wax method.  This is an amazing shot. What I like about this broken wax piece is the detail you can see. This is pretty much what the bronze will look like. You know, minus the attachments on the bottom.  There are some of the pieces that had to be removed and cast separately. The wolf is one of my favorite figures from thi