Skip to main content

Stories In Sculpture & Mythology In Marble

I guess the title makes my subject pretty obvious. And I have to tell you, there are about a million statues (sounds like an exaggeration, but doesn't feel like one) that depict both Roman and Greek mythology. They are my favorite kind because they tell a story. There is so much emotion and feeling involved, not to mention the constant themes of falling in love and resisting brute lust. We have always liked our dramas - even hundreds of years ago.


Perseus and Medusa, by Antonio Canova, from study.com
Antonio Canova is one of my favorites. Above is Perseus and Medusa, currently on display at The Met in New York. When I see this I think of the more modern telling involving Percy Jackson. My absolute favorite Canova is this:


Cupid and Psyche, by Antonio Canova, from The Louvre
In this interpretation of Cupid and Psyche I see the most caring and intense love. It's difficult not to like this statue. When Mike and I went to the Hermitage we had to wait a while to get a close-up view. Their is also a copy in the Louvre and in The Met. Cupid was so forgiving of Psyche's human nature; it is a beautiful story and a gorgeous statue to go with it.


Apollo and Daphne, by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, in Rome
The story of Apollo and Daphne is another one of my favorites, probably because I have a sister named Daphne. When she first discovered that her name meant "Laurel Tree," she was a little disappointed. But during our teen years when she learned the story behind the Laurel tree, she came to love the meaning of her name and the story behind it.
When I think of this story I don't think of a girl who is constantly avoiding a nuisance and turns into a tree just to get rid of him. I think of a man so persistent in his desires, much like Gaston of Beauty and the Beast, that he will do anything to get what he wants. In order to save herself - possibly from rape - Daphne turns into a Laurel tree.


Laocoon and His Sons, attributed to the Greek sculptors Agensander, Athenodors, and Polydorus
The tragedy of Laocoon and His Sons, spoken of in the Greek Epic Cycle, is about a Trojan priest who was going to leak information about the Trojan Horse, so his two sons killed him. Here he is portrayed with sea serpents. The story varies in its different versions (and what Greek story doesn't have a hundred different versions?).


The Discus Thrower, by Myron
Okay, there's not necessarily a story to go with this one, but it is a Greco-Roman piece of an athlete about to release the discus "by sheer intelligence." It's a really cool statue. Look at all the details on that guy.

The Rape of Persephone, by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, from Columbia College
Perhaps one of the more tragic stories is that of Persephone, who was kidnapped by Hades (with the help of Zeus of all people) and taken as his wife. I love this sculpture because of the intense emotions I get from it; panic, immediacy, and fear. I know that sounds warped, but I don't love it because of the fear you can feel, but because Bernini has the ability to make us feel those emotions. This story can be real life, and it's scary, and hopefully makes us aware and more sympathetic human beings.

Venus de Milo, by Alexandros, in the Louvre
Another one of my favorites, a good one to end on, is the Venus de Milo. This is a simple portrait of Venus (or Aphrodite), the goddess of love. I remember this from the movie about that surfer who lost her arm to a shark (I can't remember the name of it) and how her mother showed her this statue and talked about how millions of people have flocked to Paris to see it and how beautiful it was. Even though the arms were lost long ago. Profound, right?
Until next time, enjoy. Look up some more statues with these themes, they're all so amazing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focus: Immortality

Several years ago Mike created Outside the Circle, which you can read about on a previous blog. Around the same time, he created this statue: Immortality Part of the story is mine. Shortly before Mike created this piece, I had my first miscarriage. What they say is true: you never understand how difficult it is until you go through one yourself. I remember talking to Mike about the sacrifices that so many women make. We give up our bodies for years at a time. Our bodies sometimes fail us. Our minds suffer when things don't go as planned. Emotions are high, and so are the stakes. This statue, aptly named "Immortality," is the embodiment of those sacrifices. Not only do women bear children, but we don't bear children. We adopt and we foster care, and we babysit our nieces and nephews. We lose sleep. We toss and turn. We worry. We lose our marbles. Sometimes, women can look down at themselves and see only stretchmarks. We a wreck of the person we used to

Now: Up at the Springville Museum of Art

It's finished! Isn't it always nice when you can say something like that? With all the work that went into this relief, Mike is ready for vacation. Even the casting process put him through a physical and emotional ride. The work that goes into creating something, from concept to finished product, is amazingly strenuous and impressive. When I try the process myself I tend to give up, so I have a tremendous respect for artists in general. Last night we went to the opening of the Fall Show at the Springville Museum of Art. There were a LOT of people there. I think they ran out of cups for water. But it was a nice evening, with beautiful art, and great people. Mike has received continuous awards in this show for the last...seven years? Eight, maybe? This is how you know that he works hard and puts a lot of himself into his pieces. Not only is he good, but he uses his talents and knowledge for good. He creates pieces that convey messages about important qualities and eleme

Now: Time for Wax

Though my post is a little late, cut me some slack. It's raining and gorgeous outside, and we've been enjoying it. Might sound crazy, but I am so glad this summer is over.  Tomorrow we head to Baer Bronze to check the metal. Before that, Mike had to go out there to check the wax:  Mostly, this blog is going to be in photos. Because the photos are awesome and speak for themselves. When I look at this wax, I'm not sure what the purpose is. Here's what I know: Mike's pieces are cast using the Lost Wax method, which means the piece is cast in wax first, remolded, and then when the bronze is poured the wax is burned away. Hence, the lost wax method.  This is an amazing shot. What I like about this broken wax piece is the detail you can see. This is pretty much what the bronze will look like. You know, minus the attachments on the bottom.  There are some of the pieces that had to be removed and cast separately. The wolf is one of my favorite figures from thi