Skip to main content

On the Subject of Angels

Halfway through the year and I finally decided how to theme the blog. Yeah, I'm sorry about being MIA; I'm even more unfocused than normal this year. So I'm sitting at my computer and thinking, "what the heck am I'm going to focus on?" Since I don't know how to focus anymore, the answer came in a moment of non-focusing.
Subjects.
As in, things. People. Figures of a certain sort. For instance, in order to ease into this momentum (did you catch that oxymoron there?), I'm doing angels today. Why? Because I know them. A lot of them. Angels represent something different for each of us. They can be spiritual, or emotional, or representative of something we're looking for whether it's peace and tranquility or the knowledge that we are only human but strive to be more. And here they are, in no particular order.

The Stagliano Angel
This angel, by Giulio Monteverde, guards the Oneto family monument at the Stagliano Cemetery in Genoa, Italy. I've included it in this blog before, when I did the articles on cemeteries. What a stunning, soul-piercing piece! Doesn't it look like she's looking right through you? Beautifully crafted and designed, she is sure to leave you with a feeling of both peace and trepidation.


The Colchester War Memorial
This is the Angel of Victory at the Colchester War Memorial, by H.C. Fehr. There are two statues at the bottom, St. George and Peace (not pictured here, but click the link above for more info). The wings on this angel remind me a little of butterfly wings. I like her message of peace and justice, and the allegorical messages in the monument to remind us of the cost of war and the valiant soldiers who fought.

 
One of Bernini's Angels in Rome, Italy
There are several angels on the Ponte Sant'Angelo bridge. Bernini's angel here holds a shroud or a veil. There are countless angel statues in Rome, and even more throughout Italy. Such a beautiful statue, so far away! You can tell Bernini used real wings as a model for this piece, and he always had such an amazing way of sculpting drapery.


Michelangelo's Angel
One of the reason's I like this angel so much is because it doesn't bear a definite male or female resemblance. It reminds me of the grief statue by August St.-Gaudens, which isn't meant to be male or female. In both of these pieces we are all meant to embrace the idea of spirituality. It doesn't just apply to male or female.


Stanford Angel of Grief
I love this one because it speaks to me so deeply. We've all experienced horrible grief. And if you haven't yet, you will. It's not a curse. It's a part of life that we must deal with, both to grow and better ourselves, and to become empathic and compassionate to others.


Heaven and Earth

Heart of Sorrow
Last but not least I want to include the statues "Heaven and Earth" and "Heart of Sorrow" by Michael Aaron Hall. This is his blog, after all. Heaven and Earth represents the connection between the spiritual realm and the physical world, and Heart of Sorrow is an interpretation of the worth of all human beings and the love felt for them. Take from that what you will; it gives me purpose and peace in my life and I believe speaks to a modern world in need of hope.
Until next time, enjoy the world around you. Take pictures, read, breathe, and draw.
-Mandy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focus: Immortality

Several years ago Mike created Outside the Circle, which you can read about on a previous blog. Around the same time, he created this statue: Immortality Part of the story is mine. Shortly before Mike created this piece, I had my first miscarriage. What they say is true: you never understand how difficult it is until you go through one yourself. I remember talking to Mike about the sacrifices that so many women make. We give up our bodies for years at a time. Our bodies sometimes fail us. Our minds suffer when things don't go as planned. Emotions are high, and so are the stakes. This statue, aptly named "Immortality," is the embodiment of those sacrifices. Not only do women bear children, but we don't bear children. We adopt and we foster care, and we babysit our nieces and nephews. We lose sleep. We toss and turn. We worry. We lose our marbles. Sometimes, women can look down at themselves and see only stretchmarks. We a wreck of the person we used to

Now: Up at the Springville Museum of Art

It's finished! Isn't it always nice when you can say something like that? With all the work that went into this relief, Mike is ready for vacation. Even the casting process put him through a physical and emotional ride. The work that goes into creating something, from concept to finished product, is amazingly strenuous and impressive. When I try the process myself I tend to give up, so I have a tremendous respect for artists in general. Last night we went to the opening of the Fall Show at the Springville Museum of Art. There were a LOT of people there. I think they ran out of cups for water. But it was a nice evening, with beautiful art, and great people. Mike has received continuous awards in this show for the last...seven years? Eight, maybe? This is how you know that he works hard and puts a lot of himself into his pieces. Not only is he good, but he uses his talents and knowledge for good. He creates pieces that convey messages about important qualities and eleme

Now: Time for Wax

Though my post is a little late, cut me some slack. It's raining and gorgeous outside, and we've been enjoying it. Might sound crazy, but I am so glad this summer is over.  Tomorrow we head to Baer Bronze to check the metal. Before that, Mike had to go out there to check the wax:  Mostly, this blog is going to be in photos. Because the photos are awesome and speak for themselves. When I look at this wax, I'm not sure what the purpose is. Here's what I know: Mike's pieces are cast using the Lost Wax method, which means the piece is cast in wax first, remolded, and then when the bronze is poured the wax is burned away. Hence, the lost wax method.  This is an amazing shot. What I like about this broken wax piece is the detail you can see. This is pretty much what the bronze will look like. You know, minus the attachments on the bottom.  There are some of the pieces that had to be removed and cast separately. The wolf is one of my favorite figures from thi