Skip to main content

The Sculptures of St. Petersburg, Russia

Unlike many of these places that I blog about that I want to visit, I've actually been to St. Petersburg. Not recently, of course. This was about fourteen years ago, and I went in the middle of winter with my husband. We were crazy, of course, but it was an amazing experience and so worth it. From the gorgeous architecture and brightly painted buildings to the eerily beautiful cemeteries and roomy town squares, I loved every minute of it. I remember walking into shops or buildings and I would start to thaw, mascara and phlegm running down my face. The instant I would walk back outside it would all freeze up again. Very cold, but so full of history and intrigue that it filled my blood and intoxicated me.

We stayed in the Hotel St. Petersburg, which at the time was undergoing renovation. We didn't have the money to stay in the nice rooms, so our room was an old communist un-breeding ground with two smaller-than-twin beds nailed to the walls end to end. My husband and I still managed to squeeze into one bed. That hotel freaked me out, there was no way I was sleeping alone. Did I mention the place was crawling with Russian mafia?

These beautiful equestrians are the four Horse Tamers by Baron Peter Clodt von Jurgensburg (say that five times fast). They stand on Anichkov bridge, like so: 

Anichkov Bridge, Nevsky Prospekt

You can see that two of them are across the road from each other facing the same way. The other two are on the opposite end of the bridge facing the other way. It's pretty spectacular. Here are all four of them up close: (Thanks to Saint-Petersburg.com for the pics)


The Horse Tamers
Another beautiful place in St. Petersburg is Peterhoff:

Peterhoff Palace
I'm not going to go into Peterhoff too much, but it's one of Mike's favorite places. It's filled with amazing fountains and beautiful statuary. And the statues are all made of gold (not pure gold, of course, they'd just fall apart). Bonus.

I think this next one is really interesting:


This memorial to Alexander the III is extremely controversial in St. Petersburg. It has an interesting story behind it, which you can read here. It's creator, Paolo Trubetskoy, didn't necessarily engage in the politics of the statue. He was commissioned to do it, and created this, an imposing yet heavy handed figure of the very disliked tsar Alexander the III.

This next statue is in front of Finland Station in St. Petersburg:


Lenin
I don't know much about this statue, but I do know this. There are still hundreds of Lenin statues in St. Petersburg, even today. Large ones, like these, and small ones, like the one my husband brought home. No, we're not communists. He's a sculptor, remember? He loves a good statue. When I asked him why there were still a lot of monuments to Lenin, he explained that the Russians still loved Lenin. He seemed to be the gentler leader, which means the Russians (for the most part) hate Stalin. There are no monuments or statues to him anywhere. As numbers have it, he was more brutal in his mass murders than even Hitler.

Next is the Bronze Horseman:


Bronze Horseman
The Bronze Horseman is a monument to Peter the Great. It was commissioned to a French artist named Etienne Maurice Falconet by Catherine the Great. This is a pretty good statue, and I'm especially impressed by the poem that goes with it, by Aleksander Pushkin. Both the statue and the poem are inspired by true events.

I struggled a bit to find statuary of women, and though this one is a partial nude, I really like it:


The Goddess Pax
This is a statue of the goddess Pax in the Pavlovsk Garden in St. Petersburg. I didn't have the chance to visit this garden, but it's beautiful in the picture. I don't know much about the Greek goddess, except that she's associated with spring and is often seen carrying an olive branch. I like the lion at her feet. I'm one of those that would like to have a tame lion, if there were ever such a thing. They're powerful yet amazingly graceful animals.

The last thing I want to touch on is the Hermitage:


Hermitage
I've already talked about the Hermitage and the many, many artworks they have there. If you look closely at this picture, you can see that there is actually statuary on the façade and roof of the Winter Palace. The building, in and of itself, is one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen. We spent so many hours in this building; it was absolutely stunning. Not only that, but they had this great Egyptian exhibit downstairs when we were there, and I got to see a real mummy. It was gross, but fascinating at the same time.

That's all for now, but happy sculpture hunting in the meantime. If you see any fantastic sculptures, let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focus: Immortality

Several years ago Mike created Outside the Circle, which you can read about on a previous blog. Around the same time, he created this statue: Immortality Part of the story is mine. Shortly before Mike created this piece, I had my first miscarriage. What they say is true: you never understand how difficult it is until you go through one yourself. I remember talking to Mike about the sacrifices that so many women make. We give up our bodies for years at a time. Our bodies sometimes fail us. Our minds suffer when things don't go as planned. Emotions are high, and so are the stakes. This statue, aptly named "Immortality," is the embodiment of those sacrifices. Not only do women bear children, but we don't bear children. We adopt and we foster care, and we babysit our nieces and nephews. We lose sleep. We toss and turn. We worry. We lose our marbles. Sometimes, women can look down at themselves and see only stretchmarks. We a wreck of the person we used to

Now: Up at the Springville Museum of Art

It's finished! Isn't it always nice when you can say something like that? With all the work that went into this relief, Mike is ready for vacation. Even the casting process put him through a physical and emotional ride. The work that goes into creating something, from concept to finished product, is amazingly strenuous and impressive. When I try the process myself I tend to give up, so I have a tremendous respect for artists in general. Last night we went to the opening of the Fall Show at the Springville Museum of Art. There were a LOT of people there. I think they ran out of cups for water. But it was a nice evening, with beautiful art, and great people. Mike has received continuous awards in this show for the last...seven years? Eight, maybe? This is how you know that he works hard and puts a lot of himself into his pieces. Not only is he good, but he uses his talents and knowledge for good. He creates pieces that convey messages about important qualities and eleme

Now: Time for Wax

Though my post is a little late, cut me some slack. It's raining and gorgeous outside, and we've been enjoying it. Might sound crazy, but I am so glad this summer is over.  Tomorrow we head to Baer Bronze to check the metal. Before that, Mike had to go out there to check the wax:  Mostly, this blog is going to be in photos. Because the photos are awesome and speak for themselves. When I look at this wax, I'm not sure what the purpose is. Here's what I know: Mike's pieces are cast using the Lost Wax method, which means the piece is cast in wax first, remolded, and then when the bronze is poured the wax is burned away. Hence, the lost wax method.  This is an amazing shot. What I like about this broken wax piece is the detail you can see. This is pretty much what the bronze will look like. You know, minus the attachments on the bottom.  There are some of the pieces that had to be removed and cast separately. The wolf is one of my favorite figures from thi